Friday, September 27, 2013

A crack in Lola's wall

       An outing to the library today created a crack in my brick wall for Lola E. GUSTAFSON (1886-).  Since the kids were working on school projects I jumped onto Ancestry.com.  Not having my research material with me I wonder who to look up and Lola's name popped into my head.
          A search using approximate birth year and place was done, than the family tree section was chosen.  I found my aunt's family tree and a few others, but there was one I didn't recognize and with a click the crack began to form.  At first glance this family tree has no significant differences.  Going to the 1940 federal census source, I know this is my Lola, as the family matches.  Under suggested records I notice an Iowa Births Index and 3 city directories and wonder if this could be her.  The birth index doesn't give a first name and has a different birth date than what I have.  The parents names are given as Charles and Anna GUSTAFSON.  I wonder if this crack will bring down the wall, more information is needed on Charles and Anna.
          Using Charles' name I do a search in the Federal census and Iowa census, nothing concrete is found.  Scrolling down the All Results list I come across an Illinois Death Index that gives the death location for a Charles in a familiar location the family is known to reside in.  By george I think I've found it.  I strongly believe that Charles and Anna are her parents; but my time ran out so I'll have to go to NARA next week and do more research to confirm this.

No comments:

Post a Comment