Saturday, November 15, 2014

Finding Bertha Jane FALL (1875-1965)

     "And the walls come tumbling down...." Eureka, I have broken through a tough wall and discovered my husband's great-grandmother's maiden name, thanks to records on Ancestry.com.  How did I do it, I used the family tree search option only and came across the marriage record on someone's tree.
     First I searched for her with Warren, hoping that there would be other hints in that right-hand column, but no such luck.  After adding all the census information to the family tree I wanted to try out just searching her name, birth year, and birth place.  I got 529 hits, I looked through some of them, but after getting to page nine, knew that I needed another route.  So, I changed the search to just give me results from family trees and it was the third family tree that I reviewed that gave me the names.
     Warren L. CARPENTER and Bertha J. FALL were married 3 Sep 1904 in Morgan County, Ohio.  This was a first marriage for both.  As the marriage license states that were married by Rev. A. CLENDENNING I would like to find out if they were married at home or in a church.  Another stroke of luck gives me the full names of her parents and it also lets me know that she was employed as a housekeeper at the time she was married.
     Now I have Warren and Bertha's marriage record, along with her parent names, I have another road to travel.  What a great success today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment